Friday, October 28, 2011

Summery Christmas presents

 Check out the sunhat! Isn't it awesome?*

Well, I'm not entirely happy with it, but I am pleased.  The pattern comes from the Australian Woman's weekly craft book.  You have to upscale the pattern, and I think my version is not quite right.  The instructions also left a little to be desired, so I had to improvise when it came to piecing the lining and crown together - which is probably why it doesn't sit quite right.  Next time I will also add some interfacing to the crown section as well.

 The pattern called for there to be two brim pieces with two pieces of interfacing.  I only had enough interfacing to do one piece, so I cut another piece of heavy fabric, interfaced that and then sandwiched it in between the two brim pieces.  I really like that it is a bit sturdier that way.

 The most time consuming bit was sewing the lines around the brim.  Fortunately I completed most of this while taking a rugby sewing break.  For those of you who aren't from around here, the Rugby World Cup final was on this weekend just gone.  NZ has hosted the tournament, and the All Blacks (our team) were in the final against France.

It was an incredibly nerve wracking game, so I had to take a break during the second half and go and sew in the kitchen because I just couldn't bear to watch.  In the end we won! It was worth all the stress to win the Rugby World Cup for the first time since 1987.  And New Zealand went wild for our win.  So all I accomplished this week was the sunhat.  I was a little pre occupied otherwise.

Check out more creativity at Natural Suburbia

*Modelled by the very accommodating Kiki.

3 comments:

Please leave a comment, please, pretty please,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...