Monday, February 7, 2011

Matariki Dress/Tunic


I blogged about this pattern way back in October, but it was one of those things that I just haven't gotten around to actually writing up.  However, I was browsing a blog the other day and came across a picture of my dress.  You could have knocked me over with a feather.  So I figured it was time I actually published the pattern.  After putting it off for so long, I was a little embarrassed to find that writing it up only took about 5 minutes.

In fact, the thing that took the longest was finding the right name for it.  I wanted a name that referred to the dress itself, and also something that I could use thematically for any other patterns I publish.  (I'm a sucker for a theme).  I spent ages thinking about the kinds of names I could use; literary, familial, all sorts. Until finally I decided to go with something uniquely NZ, and of course Maori names/myths sprang to mind.

So I chose Matariki.  Matariki is the Maori celebration of the new year.  But the reason I chose it as the name for my dress is because of one of the translations of Matariki as 'small eyes' and this seemed appropriate given the row of eyelets across the bodice of the dress.

This is the first time I've produced a knitting pattern, so if you have any questions, please ask and I will do my best to clarify things.  Additionally, although the bodice section looks like a twisted rib, this is because of my left handedness, its just a regular rib for me.  You could certainly try it using a twisted rib, but that isn't what I did.  Alternatively, you could try knitting it left handed, but I accept no responsibility for the brain numbing horror that will probably result.

I'd love to see any creations, please post your links in the comments.  You can also find the pattern on Ravelry.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats Ang! I hope it's a success :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a gorgeous wee dress! i'll definitely be queuing it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. is this knit in 2 pieces, and then sewn together? I am a little bit confused by the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its knit in two pieces and then joined. I've responded to your comment on Ravelry - sorry for the confusion.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, please, pretty please,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...