Friday, August 27, 2010

P's dress up box

I googled 'dress up box ideas' and found plenty of sites that had great ideas of what to include.  So I've put in some of my old clothes; a butterfly top, a skirt, and a couple of dresses (believe it or not I wore the orange one once while I was pregnant with P).  I also found a hat and a lei in my hunt through my wardrobe.  I think P will love pretending to be a grown up in them.

I also made a couple of big rectangles out of some pink material that I had lying around.  These are multi purpose, they're large enough that P can use them as items of clothing, or as blankets for her toys or anything else that comes to mind.

I found this tutorial in my googling and thought I could make a wizard's cloak out of some blue velvet trousers I had in my fabric stash (that's why there are so many seams in the finished cloak).  The tutorial is fairly self explanatory, but I think I stared at my material for a good half an hour trying to figure out how it would work. I think it was the sleep deprivation at work.  Instead of making it reversible I used my roll hemming foot on my sewing machine to hem the cloak.  This was a mistake, it appears that roll hemming feet don't like velvet and as a result the cloak has possibly the worst hem in the world.  I almost unpicked it and did it by hand, but since it is a dress up costume and I have lost my unpick I just did the best I could.  It appears that laziness trumps perfectionism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, please, pretty please,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...