Once we got stuck in and turned the ground over, and added some compost, it looked significantly better. It helps to have some muscle to give you a hand. I've set up 6 rows running across the garden, and they go in a specific pattern:
B = crops that take half a season
C= crops that can be grown in succession
the rows are 50cm apart, and next year we'll move them 25cm. I'm hoping that the rotation of the rows, plus a bit of companion planting will solve our disease issues, specifically the club root problems. So far we've got some spring onions in, and some beetroot planted. It feels great to look out my kitchen window and see my newly dug garden.